Teaching Assistant Level 2 - to support pupil with SEN in Foundation Stage 2
Lisle Marsden Church of England Primary Academy is looking for a Teaching Assistant (SCP 11) to join its dedicated staff team as soon as possible.
The post would involve working in Foundation Stage 2 to directly support a child with complex special educational needs (learning, hearing and speech/communication difficulties with additional significant medical needs).
The post is a full time position - 29.5 hours per week term time + 5 days.
Fixed term for one year, the fixed term nature of the contract will be reviewed and may be extended/linked to the child’s EHP subject to the strategic requirements of the academy.
The successful applicant would be required to work one to one and in small group and whole class situations to focus attention and promote learning, following the planning and direction of the class teacher. The child in question will need support to communicate and to work on programmes supplied and monitored by outside agencies. The child will need support to participate in the curriculum through learning opportunities provided, appropriate to the child’s stage of development. As well as working with the class teacher and other adults and liaising with parents, the post holder will also be required to use initiative and to maintain a calm, positive but firm approach to encourage growing independence, whilst at the same time clearly establishing and maintaining boundaries. Supporting independence will sometimes involve working on other tasks or with other children, at the class teacher’s discretion. The child will require a high level of support with complex medical needs (the successful candidate will be required to undertake full accredited training, which will be provided as part of the role) and also oversight with personal independence and basic self-care needs.
Essential qualities for the successful applicant include:
- the ability to work flexibly and as part of a team, following agreed planning and providing feedback to the teacher
- a friendly and positive outlook
- good communication skills with adults
- good communication skills with children so that praise/directions given are short, positive and clear
- a calm and professional approach
- an understanding of issues of confidentiality
- commitment to promoting the safety and welfare of children
- the ability to cope with the physical demands of the post
- good standard of education
- a willingness to address any identified training needs
Desirable skills/ qualities:
- recognised Teaching Assistant qualification
- a current first aid qualification
- previous experience working with a child with special educational needs
- knowledge of sign language/Makaton
Application forms are available to download from the Academy website www.lisle.ne-lincs.sch.uk Application forms together with an accompanying personal statement detailing relevant skills/ experience etc. ( no longer than 3 sides of A4) should be returned to Mrs C Newton the Assistant Academy Business Manager at the above academy address. Alternatively candidates may wish to email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications Friday 16th March at 12.00 noon.
Interview Date: Monday 26th March
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect the same commitment from all staff and volunteers